Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lean Xubuntu

I have to admit, I love Xubuntu. They have a really nice community behind it, the developers are super friendly, and the with the last few releases the artwork is superb. Plus, I've used Xubuntu off and on since 7.10, but over the last few releases its gotten a tad bloated. For machines with less than 256 megs or ram, its not the best solution in the world.

So I looked into a way to make Xubuntu leaner than the default install. If I have the resources, I don't mind running the default Xubuntu and Firefox, but on my Compaq Presario 700 (K6-500 with 256 Megs Ram) neither would work well.

However hope isn't lost. If you want a Lean Xubuntu, you just have to follow a few easy steps. First, I used the alternate installer, Xubuntu or Ubuntu works, either way. I did a "Command Line Only Install" (selected at boot time under the F4 "Modes" menu). Once the install was finished, reboot, and you have the familiar "server-like" install of Ubuntu/Xubuntu. Once I logged in, I executed the following apt command:

apt-get -y install xorg gdm xfce4 xubuntu-restricted-extras xubuntu-wallpapers xubuntu-plymouth-theme xubuntu-icon-theme xubuntu-gdm-theme xubuntu-docs xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-artwork xfce4-goodies chromium-browser network-manager-gnome

Reboot your computer, and you will see the beautiful Xubuntu graphics and themes. Once you log in, you will have to use appfinder to change the empty browser launcher in the top panel to Chromium.

And thats it! A Lean Xubuntu install. I did some memory tests, and this method doesn't use any more RAM than the Ubuntu + Xfce4. Install only what applications you need from the command line, and enjoy the Xubuntu-Lite!

No comments:

Post a Comment