Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Installing SLiM on Karmic

SLiM is a nice, simple, lightweight display manager thats actually
coming to Ubuntu Lucid. To install it in Karmic, run the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stemp/xfce

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install slim

If you want to enable automatic logins, see /etc/slim.conf and set
auto logins to yes and your default user to who you want automatically
logged in.

For those of you who have multiple desktops installed, you may have to be more specific as to what you want started. SLiM will load default x-session-manager unless specified otherwise.

To select your default desktop environment, run:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager


3 comments:

  1. There is a problem with SLiM and Lucid, at least on my nvidia based desktop. I had odd artifacts on the screen, switched to "startx" and the problems went away.

    So its back to GDM, at least for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, unfortunately. Using Ubuntu 10.04: Booting into SLiM took much longer than it should have--I've used it before on older versions of Ubuntu, and it took way too long. Also got the screen artifacts. For now I won't mess with it, but I really like SLiM, so maybe after school finals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see I'm not the only one! Unfortunately it looks like Slim is a dead project, which is why lxdm exists. I had other issues with using lxdm, couldn't get autologin to work.

    GDM, as fat as it can be loading metacity and whatnot, is pretty bulletproof.

    ReplyDelete